1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup unsalted pecans, chopped
2 large eggs, separated
11/2 cups fat-free (skim) milk
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
For fruit topping:
2 cups fresh strawberries, rinsed, stems removed and cut in half
2 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed
1 tsp powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Combine flour, oats, baking powder, sugar and pecans in a large bowl.
- Combine egg yolks, milk and vegetable oil in a separate bowl, and mix well.
- Add liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, and stir together. Do not overmix; mixture should be a bit lumpy.
- Whip egg whites to medium peaks. Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Pour batter into preheated waffle iron and cook until the waffle iron light signals it’s done or steam stops coming out of the iron. (A waffle is perfect when it is crisp and well-browned on the outside and moist, light, airy and fluffy inside.)
- Add fresh fruit and a light dusting of powdered sugar to each waffle, and serve.
Yield 4 servings; Calories 340; Total fat 11 g; Saturated fat 2 g; Cholesterol 107 mg; Sodium 331 mg; Total fiber 9 g; Protein 14 g; Carbohydrates 50 g; Potassium 369 mg