Nonstick cooking spray
1 lb. 99 percent fat-free ground turkey
1 can (28 oz.) no-salt-added tomatoes, cut up
1 C finely chopped green bell pepper
1 C finely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves , minced
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 lb. spaghetti
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Preheat over high heat.
- Add turkey; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Drain fat and discard.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, green pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, and black pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover; simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in unsalted water. Drain well.
- Serve sauce over spaghetti.
Makes 6 servings of 5 oz. sauce and 9 oz. spaghetti. Calories: 330. Total fat: 5g. Saturated fat: 1g. Cholesterol: 60mg. Sodium: 280mg.
Get more heart-healthy recipes from the National Institutes of Health.